1850's - 1980's
The Thon Funeral Home was the first funeral home in the city of Wyandotte. It can be traced back to 1857, when J.F.W. Thon, a carpenter, began making caskets. In 1865 his son, Henry, became more involved in the business after his father purchased a store at Sycamore and Biddle. The father and son team made the caskets in a factory at Chestnut and Van Alstyne. Coincidentally, the city council held their meetings at the store building until 1880, when City Hall was erected.
Management has changed through the years, but the Thon name has always remained with the funeral home. After the father, John F. W., died, Henry’s brother, Christian, took his place and the name became H. and C. Thon. Henry continued to use the name even after Christian’s death until 1917 when Harry L. Graunstadt and Archie P. Stiles became his partners, at which time the funeral home became Henry F. Thon and Company.
In 1935, the Sycamore and Biddle store moved to its present location at Chestnut and Biddle Avenues. In 1950, Donald Burd became an employee of the funeral home. Around 1980, Donald Burd became the sole owner of both H.F.Thon and R.J. Nixon Funeral Homes. After his death, Mr. Burd’s daughters, Linda Burd-Berman, Christine Burd and Veronica Burd-Hale have continued with a sense of tradition and a sensitive awareness for current funeral service trends.